Monday, August 13, 2012

Interview with Anthony SanFlippo from Brighton Beach Memoirs!


We have an interview with Anthony SanFilippo who is playing Jack in our September production of Brighton Beach Memoirs! So excited for this production! 


 This is your main stage debut at Players Club-have you worked on our 2nd stage or children's theater?
No. As a matter of fact, this is technically the first time I've been on stage in a legitimate role in 17 years. I did make cameo appearances in the Performing Arts Youth Theatre production of The Wizard of Oz (as the Wizard) and also surprised a lot of people performing in a jazz number for the Orlandi Dance Center in Havertown (a medley of songs from Guys and Dolls). Otherwise, this is it.

What area do you live in?
I live in Springfield, PA with my three children (all who have appeared in a Main Stage Production at PCS - Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat) and our yappy Beagle Ringo.

What do you enjoy the most about working at Players Club?
Being around so many people committed to making good theatre a staple not only in the Swarthmore community but the landscape of the entire region. It's really impressive how far-reaching the PCS connections are in this area. We are only a cast of seven and yet have members from two different states, and five different towns.

What has been your favorite or most memorable moment in rehearsal for Brighton Beach?
I finally got Lisa Eckley Cocchiariale (Kate) to break down in laughter on stage. I like to keep things light and comfortable when working - it makes for a great environment - and it's obvious that Paul Kerrigan operates the same way, which makes him such a good director. But, while I've had no problem eliciting laughter from the rest of the cast, Lisa has been a tough nut to crack. Perhaps it's because she's so darn talented and so intensely into her character that it's hard to get her to let her hair down. But we were doing a scene and I delivered a line - in character - and for some reason it made her crack up. It was unintentional on my part, but it worked. We then had to do it four more times before either of us didn't laugh. I hope the audience finds the moment as funny as we did.

Are you going to audition for other shows at Players Club?
I'd love to, but my job prevents me from auditioning for anything other than a show that rehearses in the summer. I work for the Philadelphia Flyers and I have to be at every game - both home and away - and as such my schedule is not conducive for rehearsing/performing during the hockey season (October-May).However, if the Fall show every season is in need of a character actor within my range, I'll certainly audition.

Besides Brighton Beach Memoirs -what other shows are you excited about this coming theater season?
I'm excited to see them all! But specifically, I can't wait to see How to Succeed in Business... It's such a fun musical with great songs and a heck of a showstopper in Brotherhood of Man. It should be a great way to wrap up the season.
Check back for another interview from the cast and crew of Brighton Beach Memoirs! For tickets to Brighton Beach Memoirs go to http://www.pcstheater.org/site/2012-2013-main-stage/brighton-beach-memoirs/ !
Also Anthony started his own blog about his experience with working on Brighton Beach Memoirs-Check that out at  http://pcsbrightonbeach.blogspot.com/ !

No comments:

Post a Comment