Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Spotlight on a Players Club Member-Ken Wilson!


 Spent some time with a member of Players Club-Ken Wilson. Ken has been in numerous productions at Players Club. Here is some insight on what his experience has been as a member of Players Club! 

Ken Wilson in Our Town.

 You are a member of Players Club. What made you want to join as a
member?

        I knew as soon as I began rehearsals for my first play at the Players
Club a few years ago that I wanted to become a member. I played Mr.
Fezziwig and a couple of other minor characters in A Christmas Carol. It
was the most fun I've had doing a play since high school!  Paradoxically,
it was the most professional environment I had ever observed in community
theater in terms of the acting talent of my fellow cast members, the skill
and dedication of the stage crew, and, of course, the brilliant direction
of Jen Wolfe.  In truth, I have never experienced such a high degree of
dedication to the arts of acting and stagecraft, and, in fact, my
experiences in each of the plays in which I have since appeared at the
Players Club have been just as good. I am truly honored to be a member of
this theater.

Ken Wilson and John Harvey in Our Town 

 What do you like the most about working at Players Club?

        The members of the Players Club - actors, directors and crew - have
been without exception warm and welcoming to me, a very pleasant surprise
after hearing that this group could be cliquish and off-putting.  I think
the best thing about working at the Players Club has been the dedication
and friendliness of the stage crew.  Actors come and go, and each play
becomes its own little world, but the good people at the Players Club who
work in set design and construction, lighting, sound, props and costumes
are a constant factor in what makes the Players Club the gold standard of
local community theater. They are quite simply the best at what they do,
and without them the actors and directors could not perform the magic that
we do.

 What has been your favorite or most memorable experience with working at
Players Club?

        It's difficult for me to pick just one memorable experience.  Working
on A Christmas Carol with so many children in the play made me see the
magic of the season through young eyes. Working on Our Town with Ellen
Wilson Dilks brought back memories of working on this classic play while I
was in high school.  And, The Beaux' Stratagem gave me the opportunity to
work under the great George Mulford, who in just a couple of months taught
me more about acting and stagecraft than I could have learned during a
semester of acting courses. But if I had to pick my favorite experience, it
would have to be working with Bruce and Millie Nutting on Anne of Green
Gables.  Not only were Bruce and Millie such terrific directors and the
other cast members so talented, the character of Matthew Cuthbert remains
my favorite of all the roles I have played at the Players Club and other
venues.


 Which shows are you going to audition for?

        It doesn't appear that any of the Main Stage plays have a role for
me, but I hope to audition for The Last Days of Judas Iscariot on Second
Stage.  It will feature a large cast of men and should be fun to do. Hope
I'm offered a part!

Our 2012-13 season is in the works! What show are you most excited about?

         All of this season's offerings look wonderful!  On Main Stage, I'm
looking forward to seeing the Players Club's adaptation of Grey Gardens,
just because the story behind the play happens to be both true and bizarre.
Also, as a lawyer and a lover of Impressionist and Post-Impressionist art,
I'm looking forward to seeing Permanent Collection, based on the true story
of the breaking of Dr. Barnes' will and the subsequent relocation of his
outstanding collection to the custody of the Philadelphia art establishment
he despised. Sleuth should also be a lot of fun to see. On Second Stage,
I'm looking forward to seeing A Perfect Ganesh, Chambers Music and The Last
Days of Judas Iscariot.

Make sure to check out our website for tickets for the 2012-13 season! 
  http://www.pcstheater.org/
To become a member of Players Club-it only costs 20 dollars! 
 https://web.ovationtix.com/trs/store/117

No comments:

Post a Comment