Monday, August 6, 2012

Interview with Brandan Skahill


Had a moment to sit down and have a mini-interview with Brandan Skahill. Brandan Skahill is making his main stage debut at Players Club playing Eugene in our September production of Brighton Beach Memoirs. Brighton Beach Memoirs opens on 9/14! 

This is your main stage debut at Players Club-what shows have you done in the area?
Brandan- This is actually the first show I've ever done at the PCS. My director, Paul Kerrigan, is a teacher at my school, and he suggested that I audition.

What was the audition process like?
Brandan-The audition process was a little different than I've done before. The initial monologue was a bit longer than I've had to read in the past, and Paul kept stopping me and asking that I go back and try a different acting perspective. Once I made it to the callbacks, I was asked to read a few scenes with some others, and then I was done. It was a lot shorter than I expected, but it gave me a good feel for the character I was trying out for.

What is the best part about working at Players Club?
Brandan- I really like the camaraderie that's been established. All the other cast members are nice and easy to work with, and I think we work together very well. If I have a question, I can easily go up to any one of them and they'll give me a straight and honest answer. I think something like that can only be achieved with a very small cast.

So far what is the most memorable or funniest moment so far in the rehearsal process?
Brandan- A few nights ago, we were told that we were going to be running the first act, when in actuality we ended up only running the first 20 pages or so. This was because we just couldn't get the "exchange", as Paul put it, into our heads. Once we got past that, one of the actors just couldn't get his lines. Every time he called for line, which was every line, we just started laughing.

What is best part about working with the director-Paul Kerrigan?
Brandan- I've known Paul for a while, him being a teacher at my school, and for the past two years he has directed my school's winter musical. So I've worked with him before, but not with a show like this. He gives direction very well, and he is clear and concise when he gives acting tips. I think that's very important for a director. Beyond that, he's a generally nice guy and I enjoy working with him.

This show has been produced numerous times over the years-why do you think it is so popular with audiences?
Brandan- I think the show has a lot that audiences can connect with. Younger viewers can relate to Eugene's innocence or Stanley's principles and his "big brother" status. Older men can see how hard it is to provide for a family through Jack's eyes. Younger girls can connect with Nora's dreams. And older women understand how hard it is to be a mother, either in Kate's or Blanche's position. Whatever the case, every character is relatable. Other than that, it's a funny show, and it's also packed to the brim with meaning.

What other shows are you excited about Players Club doing this season?
Brandan- I'm particularly excited for Little Women. I've always wanted to see that show.

Stayed tune for the next blog with  Anthony SanFilippo- making his mainstage debut playing Jack!